Overall: 5 1/8 x 5 1/8 x 1/4 in. ( 13 x 13 x 0.6 cm )
Tin-glazed earthenware tile with painted blue and white decoration; buff-colored body with bluish-white glaze; rondel with scene of three figures in landscape, one on left with a halo, one in center kneeling, and one on right with hat, possibly Christ healing the blind (John ch. 9 v. 5); ox-head corner motifs; tile broken with restoration and infill on left side.
According to a label on the box in which these tiles were found, this tile comes from the William Walton House, at 326 Pearl (formerly Queen) Street, NYC, erected in 1752 and demolished in 1881. The tile was given to the N-YHS in 1881 or 1882. At least two different sets of tiles survive; one with a purple arabesque design and another with blue and white biblical scenes and several other unrelated designs.
Gift of George W. W. Houghton
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.