Overall: 5 7/8 x 8 7/8 x 3 7/8 in. ( 14.9 x 22.5 x 9.8 cm )
engraved: center front: "T H L" in script stamped: on base: "TIFFANY & Co../ 9074 MAKERS 5017/ STERLING SILVER/ 925-1000/ M/ 2 PINTS/ 8 CUPS"
Cast Colonial Revival silver teapot, oval in plan with two concave flutes at the ends of each side; straight sides; concave shoulder raised to a flat rim; hinged, inset lid with a low dome surmounted by a cast urn-shaped finial; cast, straight fluted spout; cylindrical handle sockets fitted with ivory insulators and a cast, c-curve spout with an acanthus leaf pendant at the top; engraved, "T H L" in script on the front center; makers' marks on the base.
This teapot may have been a wedding gift for Townsend Lawrence (1870-1951) and Herminia Barnes (d. 1913), who were married on September 24, 1912. Lawrence, a member of the New York Stock Exchange, kept a country estate, Willow Bank, in Flushing.
Gift of Townsend Lawrence
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.