Model 1842 U.S. Percussion Musket
Wood, steel, iron
Overall: 58 1/8 in. ( 147.6 cm ) Part (barrel): 42 in. (106.7 cm)
stamped: lockplate tail: "HARPERS/FERRY/1851"; center: "US" (below eagle with shield breast, grasping branch and arrows) stamped: barrel tang: "1849"; buttplate tang: "US"; barrel breech: "V"; "P"; eagle head. stamped: bayonet: "C..."
Wood, steel, and iron percussion musket; iron furniture; stamped marks at center and tail of lockplate, barrel tang, and tang of buttplate; stamped proofs at breech end of barrel; angular iron bayonet with beak point, full face flute, and hollow back flutes; stamped mark on bayonet face.
The Model 1842 was the first percussion musket produced by the national armories at Springfield, Massachusetts and Harpers Ferry, Virginia. Many of the new muskets were used by Union and Confederate troops during the Civil War. According to accession records, this musket was found on the battlefield after First Bull Run on July 21, 1861, and was later presented to the 7th Regiment, National Guard New York, by Fred K. Peterson of Company F in the regiment.
Gift of the 7th Regiment, National Guard New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.