Johnson Hall, Johnstown, New York
Black ink and graphite with touches of white gouache on card
Overall: 11 1/4 x 14 1/4 in. ( 28.6 x 36.2 cm )
signature: lower right: "W.L. Hudson" inscription: verso, stamped: "W.L. Hudson/Studio/70 Fifth Ave., N.Y."
Signed at lower right in black ink: "W.L. HUDSON."; inscribed at lower left: "Johnson Hall. Built in 1764 / Johnstown N.Y."; verso has various publishing instructions and stamp of the artist with studio address (70 Fifth Avenue)
Erected in 1761 by Sir William Johnson (1715-74), the estate was inherited by Sir John Johnson, but was confiscated during the war. William Johnson was the influential superintendent of Indian affairs and his home was a center of frontier activity in the Mohawk alley until has death just previous to the American Revolution. Hudson's sketch, drawn for publication, shows the late nineteenth century appearances of the house before its puchase by the state of New York in 1907.
Gift of Emil Herman Sauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.