Hinge w/docu: ...South Gate of Fort Washington 1776-1783...
Overall: 3 x 44 x 2 in. ( 7.6 x 111.8 x 5.1 cm )
Iron hinge; tapered, rectangular bar with back that ends in loop and front that ends in rough disk; perforated with twelve holes.
This hinge was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit near the south ramparts at Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The hinge was probably used for a large gate or door.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.