Painted and overpainted plaster
Overall: 10 x 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 in. ( 25.4 x 16.5 x 21.6 cm )
inscribed: back of head: "367" label: on base: "Hubbard 27-88"
This cast was part of the Phrenological Museum of Fowler & Wells, which opened in New York City in 1842. Brothers Orson Squire Fowler (1809-1887) and Lorenzo Niles Fowler (1811-1896) and their business associate Samuel Roberts Wells (1820-1875) were noted phrenologists who read heads to understand the subject's "temperament." Their Phrenological Cabinet displaying casts, skulls, and charts became a popular fixture in the city.
Purchase, General Fund
The Fowler Mask Collection
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.