Fragment of the equestrian statue of King George III (tail)
Overall: 8 1/2 x 19 x 13 in. ( 21.6 x 48.3 x 33 cm )
Fragment of molded lead statue; traces of gilding on one side; fragment molded in rippled form, probably for horse's tail.
The gilded statue of George III placed at Bowling Green by the British Government was torn from its pedestal by a jubilant crowd after a public reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 9, 1776. Fragments of the statue were transported to Litchfield, Connecticut and made into bullets for the Revolutionary troops. It is believed that Connecticut Loyalists took some of the fragments and hid them in and around their homes, for pieces such as this have been found buried in the area.
Ramirez, Jan Seidler. "A History of the New-York Historical Society." The Magazine Antiques 167 (2005): 138-145.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.