Doll's dress: 2 piece ensemble grey and teal jacket and skirt
Silk taffeta, linen, lace, metal, wool
Overall: 18 1/2 in. (47 cm)
2 piece grey wool and teal silk taffeta doll's dress comprised of teal taffeta skirt with knife pleating and gathering at waist; self ruffle and pleating at hem; lined in linen at hem. Gray wool 3/4 length jacket bodice with long sleeves and over-vest lined in cotton linen and muslin; edged with green and blue fringe at front placket, armholes and hem of vest and hem of bustle-back skirt of bodice; jacket trimmed with blue silk and decorative star-shaped silver buttons along front edges; blonde lace at neckline; vest edged with teal of skirt and trimmed with silver circular button (two of three missing).
This doll, Helen, her wardrobe and trunk were originally owned by Mary Augusta Colson whose seafaring family roots were in Brooklyn, New York and New England. The doll was purchased for Mary as a favor to Captain Colson by the owner of his ship, Vernon H. Brown in 1876. Mrs. Brown spent weeks with her dressmaker designing the most current fashions for the doll. Mary was later photographed with her doll in Boston, as were successive generations of female descendants, including the donor.
Gift of Marian F. Fraser
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.